Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Artists and Money

Money is a paper craft, a work of art that symbolizes energy, effort and exchange.

Money is nourishment. When money comes into my life, my needs are met and my spirit can be at ease to create fully and with joy.

Money waters project seeds, helps them grow and then gives back to the community. When I receive money in exchange for sharing my gifts, I am able to share more and more. I invest in classes with wonderful teachers and purchase art supplies and buy art that inspires me and go to galleries and buy books and every time I do, money waters the creative dreams of all of those people who were a part of that exchange.

-- Jamie Ridler
www.openthedoor.ca

•••••••••••••••••••••••

It is interesting, I think, to ponder the fact that only recently have artists been left dangling over the abyss of financial ruin. The great families of every civilization... have long regarded the support of artists and artisans as part of their responsibility to the health of their communities. Only post-industrial revolution attitudes have been scornful of artists as "real" contributors to society. Before that time, artists were regarded as cornerstones to the health of society. It seems to me that we are well on our way to returning to that attitude.

-- Sally Wallach

No comments:

Post a Comment